Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Did I hear a song?

I've had several requests to list the recordings I use at the beginning of every podcast, so I'm going to keep an ongoing list of them.


  1. First Podcast: An Issue Of Principle.- For the opening podcast I chose a scene from one of my favorite operas, with one of my favorite singers. The theme is "Chi Mi Frena In Tal Momento?", the famous sextet from Donizetti's Opera "Lucia Di Lammermoor". The singers listed are Alfredo Kraus ((24 September 1927 – 10 September 1999, Tenor), Edita Gruberova (Soprano) and Renato Bruson (Baritone), I cannot find the other three. It is an exquisite recording, among one of the best of this opera, but it is almost impossible to find nowadays.
  2. Second Podcast: Principle Vs Common Sense.- Ukranian baritone Igor Gorin  (October 26, 1904 – March 24, 1982) sings a lovely parlour song by American composer Augusta Mana-Zucca (December 25, 1890 - March 8, 1981), "I love life."
  3. Third Podcast: Q&A.-  Spanish composer VĂ­ctor Carbajo is perhaps one of the best contemporary composers today, using a heavy romanticist influence in his compositions, and writing lush and passionate melodies. I chose to use the beginning and ending of his "Luminous Barcarole" to give this unsung composer some needed exposure. I have sung many of his compositions in concerts to great results, and I think his music should be played as often as possible. You can find his music scores online at his website, as well as many recordings of his pieces. Just go here and take a look.


And that's it for the firs three podcasts. More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment